TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - 5SPD Manual Tranny - Stuck Shifter Cold + Grinding 4th Warm
People Seeking Info

Subject 5SPD Manual Tranny - Stuck Shifter Cold + Grinding 4th Warm

Posted by WE350Z on July 02, 2015 at 6:05 PM
  This message has been viewed 597 times.

Message Back story - my Z sits garaged in Tahoe during the winter and fall months (October - May) and comes out to play in the summer. It can get pretty cold in the garage during the winter time. I am up here fairly often and I always start the engine and let the vehicle warm up to circulate the fluids but I don't drive it around much if at all.

I had problems starting the car for a while and it got progressively worse over time until it just wouldn't start at all. I determined this later to be the starter relay - changing it fixed the problem:

La-Z Link

Around the same time I noticed that it was getting increasingly harder to get the car out of 1st gear (I would leave the car in gear when stopped) and then back into 1st gear unless really forcing it. This was mostly noticeable after starting the car after taking her out of winter storage.

Fast forward to yesterday - I'm driving in downtown SF and there is a Maserati that wants to race. So I take off as the light turns green, I shifted into 2nd and it grinded REALLY bad. Besides being really embarrassing I was now worried I may have done serious damage, and that there may be something going on to cause the grind in 2nd otherwise maybe I just shifted to quick and didn't push the clutch down all the way in my excitement (and lack of street racing experience). From what I have read grinding causes damage to the synchros not the actual gears and that it is not really detrimental unless you do it often.

So now I got on the freeway and I'm driving along. All the sudden I notice that once downshifting to 3rd from 4th and especially 5th to 4th (multiple times) I am sometimes getting grinding (especially at high speed / rpm). I've never had a problem this before and now I am REALLY getting worried. I stopped at In and Out to get a milkshake then continued down the road. No more grinding in any gear for the remainder of the trip (150+ miles).

What gives? From what I have read there are two things I should be focusing on:

Clutch Pedal Adjustment - sounds like I need to adjust slowly in the counter clock-wise direction. 1/10th turn at a time then test drive. I may have stomped on the clutch a little harder than normal when I was having problems with my starter relay - but not sure how that could have moved anything...

Transmission Fluid Change - Unsure of when it was last changed my vehicle has 50K miles. My understanding is it should be changed every 25K mi.

This is the stuff I should get right? It fixes crunchy gears? Wondering if I have a combination of things going on here...

Red Line MT-90 75W90 GL-4

2006 Scion tC (Sold)
2004 Yamaha YZF-R6 (Sold)
2003 Nissan 350Z Track (Sold)
2000 BMW X5 4.4i
1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
1985 Nissan 300ZX NA (Sold)
http://WE350Z.com>v
WE350Z at gmail dot com

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.