TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: EGR and California
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: EGR and California

Posted by tognot on November 21, 2005 at 8:40 PM
  This message has been viewed 383 times.

In Reply To Not trying to get confrontational...I am just looking posted by Boosted_One (SoCal) on November 19, 2005 at 01:11 PM

EGR is intended to reduce combustion chamber temps, and thereby NOX also. Some cars may pass their test with no EGR, IF they are dyno tested, where no visual inspection is performed.

In California, "cut points" or the amount allowed before a vehicle fails it's test, change all the time. SO, your z may pass this year with no EGR, but in 2 years ( the requirement in CA.) you have a little more carbon on your pistons (more heat and more compression), your cooling system may be a little less efficient, (more heat) and you get tested on a hot day (more heat) VIOLA, you fail for nox.

In additon, the cut points may have been lowered a little since your last test. My point is only this, what passed this year may not pass next year.

Another BIG point to make. Event though CA does not require visual inspection on dyno tests, if you get a ticket from CHP for a modified emission system (lets say they see your polished intake tube and you don't have your proof it's legal with you) then you get sent to the State smog referee (I'm not kidding!). You must get the ticket cleared before you drive anymore.

He will look over you entire car with a fine tooth comb, not just checking for the air intake the cop noticed. If he sees your egr gone, guess what?

While speaking about NOX, thats what the precats are for, IMO, despite the post from others that they only reduce emissions at warmup. ( at last early 300's)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.