TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Alarm Install procedure – Viper Alarm
People Seeking Info

Subject Alarm Install procedure – Viper Alarm

Posted by Jodecy on March 28, 2005 at 2:46 PM
  This message has been viewed 8894 times.

Message Okay, I will admit that I am not the most electrically inclined person (never really gone much further than a stereo install in the past), so if there are some easier ways of doing this install or some things I am missing, please let me know or feel free to add. This was my rookie install with zero knowledge beforehand and I just wanted to share my method to make it easier for the next person. Now before I get started, some info on the alarm itself

The actual alarm I chose to install was the Viper 791XV… It is the top of the line Viper to my knowledge with Transponder paging remote and remote start. Since I decided not to utilize the remote start, you will see a lot of wires I did not use… So essentially, this alarm install is more suited and similar to the Viper 690XV (transponder alarm w/o remote start). This should also be similar for most other DEI alarms such as Clifford or hornet.

Before I start, here are some important things that helped me with my install:

--Read and follow the manual you receive. It will tell you a lot of what you need to know.

--Figure where/how you want to mount everything and how/where you want your wires to run beforehand

--Once you are ready to make a wire connection, please solder it. It will guarantee it stays together and can prevent future problems.

First up is the Schematic of the Control Unit. I have labeled every wire that I used and where they go to on the car.

Some notes about this schematic:

--I had an aftermarket dual zone proximity sensor that I needed to hook up. I hooked this up to the blue wire for “trunk trigger output” on the control unit. The reason I did it this way is so that the prox sensor would trigger a different zone (zone 4) on my remote than the shock sensor (zone 3). Besides, our trunk is hooked up with the doors so a separate trunk sensor zone is not needed. An alternative method is you can hook up the prox sensor to the shock sensor by splicing into it, but whenever one of them went off, it would trigger the same zone.

-- I hooked up my alarm to my air horn instead of the included siren, but the schematic shows the siren.

The orange/blue wire for the hood pin switch and the red/white wire for the door trigger switch can be found on the plug for the factory theft control unit (located above and to the right of your ECU in the passenger floorboard) here is a picture (Note: I left the factory theft module unplugged and everything seems to work fine)

The parking light wire is a green/red wire located behind the light switch pod.

This picture shows you where the ignition wires are that you need to tap into.

Please note that the wires change colors after the plug under the dash. On the schematic I have labeled both colors (the ones in parenthesis are for the wire colors under the dash). I would recommend splicing in under the dash to keep it more hidden.

This picture shows the “key-in” wire.

Please use this in place of your ignition output wire if you are using a aftermarket turbo timer. This allows you to take the key out and arm the alarm while the car is still coming. If you didn’t use this wire, your car would still be sensing a signal from you turbo timer being on and you wouldn’t be able to activate the alarm

This Schematic is for the door relay. This will only work on 1992+ 300zx’s with relay’s in both doors… all earlier 300zx’s only have a relay in the passenger door and an aftermarket relay will be needed to utilize the auto door locks.

Here is the brown wire you will need to tap into. It is located right below the hood release switch. A relay will be needed, but if you hook it up as shown in the schematic above, you should be good to go

So basically, if you intall the above to the wires shown, you will get a alarm system with dual stage shock sensor, dual stage prox sensor, hood sensor, door sensor, auto door locks and unlock, starter kill, and all the other programmable features associated with it. The pager remote is a cool feature too….

Be prepared for a lot of jumbled wires. This is an example of the mess you will have on your hands

I would recommend covering the wires with electrical tape to allow for a more “hidden” look.

I good spot I found to mount the relay unit is on the little bracket on the steering shaft… works perfect… Notice the wires are not wrapped – If a thief is looking to cut wires, these would be the first option since they look aftermarket (although no matter what you do, I good thief will get your car regardless, but a little extra piece of mind is not a bad thing to have)

Placing the prox sensor below the ashtray was the most optimal spot I could find that would still allow for ease of adjustment…. In order for the adjustment screws to be in the right spot, I had to trim part of the console ? This allowed the adjustment point to be right where you need them to be once you remove your ashtray (Note: A hole will have to be cut in the cup below your ashtray. I also decided to place the valet switch here to – seems to work well, and is hidden yet still easy to get to)

I also hooked up a switch to shut the prox sensor off in crowded areas

And here is the finished product…. Pretty simple

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.