TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I finally resolved the window rattle issue .. I hope this
People Seeking Info

Subject I finally resolved the window rattle issue .. I hope this

Posted by PLEAZURE in CA (SD) on October 28, 2004 at 12:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 7634 times.

Message will help someone with a similar problem.

After replacing the window sliders on both sides I realized that it did not fix the rattle, actually the driver side was fine with no rattle, but I decided to replace both sides anyway, I have to tell you, never fix it, if it aint broke !! because that's when the problem began.

I started by checking all the bolts in the door, to make sure they are all tight and that everything was aligned properly. I didn't find anything unusual. Then I isolated the problem at the track level, the slider can move in and out about 2mm, causing the rattle. I decided to remove the track to inspect it more closely, thinking that I might need to replace it, because of wear (it did not make sense to me because plastic can not wear metal)

I took out my old sliders and bolts (good thing I keep everything for future reference). When I put the original slider in the track, it was on the track very snug, the new slider had play ..now I was very very lucky that from a previous order, I went ahead and ordered everything in the fiche, the external bolt, plastic gasket under the bolt, the plastic gasket on the inside, the slider, and listen to this, the white plastic CAP !! I never knew what was that for ..so I never used it.. but I found it. This damn cap goes on the inside of the slider over the black Phillips head bolt ..the cap will add the extra 2mm thickness needed to stop the rattle !!
Look in the last pics and you will see what I am talking about .. if you ever replace your slider .. make sure you order that part !!!
here are the part numbers from docs:

80760H Cover (White Plastic Cap)
02/89-05/89 T/R 80392-30P00
05/89-12/90 C+T/R 80392-30P00
12/90-09/91 C+T/R 80392-30P01
09/91-09/93 T/R 80392-30P01
09/93 T/R +Cv 80392-30P01

The slider part number is 80333-46-P00

Before you do anything ..you might not need to replace any parts .. your track could be loose .. so just tighten the lower bolt +upper nut I have the pictures below and you should be fine !

Lower bolt

Upper nut, under black tape

The original slider with the cap and the new sliders without the cap.

You can see the difference in height on the table.

Home Run

The WHITE CAP !!! finally fixed !!

White lithium grease on the track .. works like a charm
Congratulations Boston Red Sox on the world series !!

I am sorry if I got mad at whoever was trying to help me today in Technical .. but people kept telling me about the obvious things to check ..and my question was; why is the new slider still have free play in the track .. I knew the answer was not that easy to find.

"It should come as no surprise that the people who own and control the world have put their interests before the greater good of humanity." Henry Makow Ph.D.

PLEAZURE in SD
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.

Matt
91TT Aztec Red stg IV+

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.