TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Here is the hook up I did to check EGR.
People Seeking Info

Subject Here is the hook up I did to check EGR.

Posted by ZUL8TR on August 03, 2003 at 7:36 AM
  This message has been viewed 524 times.

In Reply To Re: Check the EGR valve it might be stuck open a small posted by Cmos on August 02, 2003 at 05:36 PM

Message :How do I do that? I mean yeah, I know where it is/what it is, but I have no clue how to check that... Hook me up, pls.

First off have you done a ECU Code check to see if EGR has sent a code or any other codes? Also do the vacuum test to the warmed up engine that I posted above then do EGR test as follows:

You will have to locate the vacuum hose that supplies the vacuum to the EGR. The supply end of the vacuum hose is located on the passanger side of the intake manifold below the collection of hoses and electrical connectors for the passanger side O2 and cam sensor. Below this collection is a bracket bolted to the block with a electric connector to the vacuum signal box that has vacuum hoses connected. The EGR hose is plugged in at the rear second from the top (if I recall). Best way to get to all this is to unbolt the bracket (2 bolts to side of plenum) holding the collection of hoses and O2 and cam connectors above this then you can reach the EGR hose and pull it off. But first spray Blaster (or WD40 if you don't have B) on the hose connector as it makes it easier to pull off with a twist.

Once off to test EGR apply vacuum to the hose end via mouth with a hose extension (or hand vacuum pump) and you should hear the EGR close when the vacuum is released. Do this in an on-off pattern several times to check action. Finally apply vacuum and see if the diaphram holds the vacuum for at time like a minute. If not able to hold vacuum the EGR diaphram could be damaged or the vacuum hose from the test point of the EGR is bad. To test this hose is a lot harder because you have to remove the end off the EGR (not an easy task) and replace with a new hose to test EGR again.

If a problem hope it is this hose and not the EGR as that really is difficult to replace with the engine in the car.

If there is carbon build up on EGR valve preventing a proper seat then to clean this is really tuff without pulling the valve and cleaning, and to go to all that trouble you might as well replace the EGR unit. I don't have a method for the direct EGR clean. Try a strong dose of a fuel system cleaner like Redline bottle to a 1/4 tank and see if that helps.

ZUL8TR in Orlando,FL

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.