TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How to Tune the 300Z ECU Revision 1
People Seeking Info

Subject How to Tune the 300Z ECU Revision 1

Posted by Z from Japan on March 24, 2003 at 8:07 AM
  This message has been viewed 1348 times.

Message [note: this write up was written MSWord and was copied and pasted here so the format is not as organized. This revision and the new .bin files will be free to download as soon as we can post them on the net.]

What can I say? The Tuning the 300Z ECU write up was an incredible success. The praise and information that I have received has been incredible. So after mulling over the new info and constructive criticism, you are now receiving the next installment, Revision 1. Think of it as Windows 3.1 with some patches and some upgrades. At first I contemplated correcting the write up directly but that would only cover up my errors. Incorporating revisions allows for you to see both my mistakes and the corrections for them. I believe it is beneficial to have both to look at and study. This also, hopefully, keeps the information and skill progression simple enough for even the beginners to digest.

Ash Powers (AshZ on tt.net) pointed out that my Water Temp Enrichment Table (7B30-7B4F) was actually the Temp Conversion Table. This table converts Celsius to Fahrenheit so it is best that you don’t touch it. Big thanks to Ash for pointing that out. When I get the info on the Water Enrichment Table I will make sure to include that in another revision. If any of you know where it is and how to tune it please let me know. I haven’t spoken with anyone yet that “seems” to know about this but I am sure that someone out there does.

Btw, the two big things I am searching for right now are the Throttle Enrichment Table, and the Water Temp Enrichment Table…. There are a few out there that know about the Throttle Enrichment so it shouldn’t be too long before this at least is revealed. Any new info will be included on future revisions.

I would like to especially thank Niclas (ProZ on tt.net) for his very welcome critique and comments on my write up. Here is a summary of the suggestions he sent me:

1) On the AF Limiter (7960 – 796F) Niclas does not recommend removing it completely (setting all the values to FF FF). Rather, setting all the values to *double* the stock values should be enough for roughly 2 bar or 29psi. If your car blows a hose to the actuator, having the AF Limiter adjusted in this manner could potentially save your engine. On all of the upgraded ecu’s that I have seen, however, this limiter has been removed (set to FF FF) including the JWT, and JUN. You can take your choice of doubling the values or cutting the limiter all together. Niclas is well above my skill level and maybe he will explain this in more depth later. In any event, JWT just eliminates it and that is what we are used to in the US. Anyone else have any more input on this?

2) In the write up, the formula that I used for calculating the TP is Niclas’s old formula. He has told me that there is an error in that formula. I have played with that formula and the results seem pretty darn close though. Nice formula even if it is broken. If anyone wants to share the corrected formula, I and the rest of the Z community are all ears.

3) Niclas also pointed out that my theory of “doubling” the final value of the TP Scale Fuel and Timing to account for “double” the boost is incorrect. It would actually cover 3x as much boost or roughly 3bar / 44psi. Makes sense too – at the time of the write up, I hadn’t considered the TP values for vacuum, but rather boost only. Figure that the lower half of the stock TP Scale is still under vacuum and only the top half is boost. Therefore doubling the final value will include all the values for vacuum as well as boost. Understand?? LOL…… Let’s make a simple example. Say that the top row below is the vacuum / boost on the manifold and the bottom row will be an example TP Scale:
-10, -8, -6, -4, -2, 0, +2, +4, +6, +8, +10 < psi Vacuum / Boost
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 < TP Scale
You can see that in this example if we want to calculate for double the boost (ie 20psi) we only need to increase the TP Scale by 50%. Figure that our stock TP is good for about 14psi so extending it by 50% will be enough for about 28psi – that will be more than enough for most Z’s out there. A few out there may need a little more expansion and a very well built Z will be able to move more air at less psi. A huge map will mean that you are not going to access the whole thing which means lower resolution. For those of you out there who have already made up some nice expanded Timing and Fuel Maps, don’t worry….just redo them LOL, Sorry. It is the same basic idea as in the write up since we were figuring for double the stock boost anyways.

4) This one is really petty [ = P thanks Niclas]. I made a verbal error on the formula for calculating the Injector Duty Cycle percentage. The formula is correct and works properly but my statement:
“at 7000rpms only half or *3500rpms* can be used for the injection of fuel” - is in correct and it should say “3500 times per minute”. Crystal Clear??? j/k. You have to think of engine mechanics to fully understand this:
In a 4 stroke engine, the Five-Event-Cycle-Principle is: 1) Intake. The intake valve is open, and air and fuel enter the cylinder while the piston is moving down. 2) Compression. The valves shut and the piston moves up compressing the air and gas. 3) Ignition. The spark plug ignites the mixture. 4) Power. The ignited mixture expands forcing the piston down. This is the only stroke that puts power to the crankshaft. 5) Exhaust. The exhaust valve opens allowing the burnt exhaust gasses to exit as the piston returns upwards.

So the injectors can inject fuel for the full duration of each 4 stroke cycle but the intake valve only opens time for every two rpms. That means at 7000rpms the injectors will inject fuel *3500 times per minute*. The good news is that the results from the formula in the write up are correct, only the wording was wrong J Just remember *times per minute* vice *rpms*.

5) Next is the AIV delete code from the 93 Z eprom. The 1993 Z’s were not released with AIV’s but the 90-92Z’s were. Niclas recommends using this code as it allows the user to remove his AIV valves. Thanks to some very generous anonymous readers I now have this code as well as a slew of others that I will release shortly. Using the ’93 code as a base I have already made a 310Z.bin base code as an upgrade for the 300Z.bin code. I have also thrown in some light tuning to give a bump in power over the 300Z.bin code! Also using the ’93 base code I am making some 555, 740, and 850cc injector codes for free download.
Btw, I am still searching for a stock 1993 N/A code. If anyone out there has one please email it to me. This is about the only code that I do not have and it would be a great asset to the Z community.

Next up is some tuning equipment:
Xtronics.com has an eprom programmer for $150. I have seen this same programmer sold at other web sites as well. Xtronics also has a $100 adapter for using the programmer as an emulator. Check out the programmer and emulator adapter at: [ www.xtronics.com/memory/EPROM.htm ] This about the cheapest way to get both a programmer and emulator.

I have been looking at the Flexrom’s Unirom. This has a heck of a lot of features including a realtime trace and pricing around $600 J Check out this web page for more info: [ www.bipom.com/unirom.htm ] If anyone has used this PLEASE let me know. I am about to pull the trigger on this one.

Another interesting web page is [ www.grid.co.jp ] To view this page in English scroll down and click on the “English” link. This company sells lots of tuning products in Japan. Apparently they have an emulator with realtime trace for around $800.

Another very interesting web page is:
[ http://space.tin.it/computer/lorgler/sw-e.htm ] This is the Orgler Electronics web site from Italy. I bought his old model emulator which was pretty nice and relatively easy to use. He now has a few newer versions and a realtime trace option. I don’t know the pricing on it though but it shouldn’t be too bad. He also sells an emulator that is similar to the Xtronics Romulator. It is called the ByteRunner and it is about $150. You can check out the details on his web site.

I am searching for input, reviews, or any info in general on emulators for the 300Z. If you are using an emulator please contact me and let me know the details on it. I would especially like to find one with realtime trace for the lowest price possible.

Last, in the write up I forgot to mention all those that have helped me. As you can see, tuning the ecu is not something that one can just “figure out”. Even if one has all the best tuning equipment, they still need a teacher to explain the details of the ecu code.
Niclas (ProZ), more than anyone else, has generously given me loads of great tuning info. I quoted him quite frequently so the majority of the praise for the write up can be directly attributed to him. I think we will see many informative pieces come from him in the future. The whole Z community thanks you!!!
Technosports is a local speed shop here in Japan. They have helped me very much in my ecu studies. Fortunately, in Japan the 300Z is considered a “dead car”, meaning that virtually no one is still modifying them. This means that teaching me about the Z ecu really doesn’t affect their business. If the Z was still popular then I doubt they would have helped me as much. I truly appreciate their helping me and my obsession with a dead car – this is very similar to a drug dealer / crackhead relationship.
To all the readers that have participated and contributed in the sharing of information since the posting of the write up, I and the Z community are in your debt. Your graciousness has laid the foundation for the rest of us to build upon. From all the people, from all around the world, that sent in your stock ecu .bin files (most want to remain anonymous so I will not post any names), you have helped the Z community more than you will ever know. Now that these valuable .bin files are free to download and modify, they will provide the power for 300Z’s all around the world.

We are one of the last communities to start sharing our tuning information openly and freely. The Mitsu, Honda, GM, Toyota, Mazda, and others are way ahead of us in this aspect and they have benefited greatly from it. Now it has come, it is our turn…. hail the Z !

Stay “tuned” for more revisions as more tuning information is received. If you have anything to contribute please email me or feel free to post it on one of the Tuning Forums.

Performance Parts For Sale Cheap.... Click me!
z from Japan - just barely old enuf to drift

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.