TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I’d try a dedicated set of track rotors first..
People Seeking Info

Subject I’d try a dedicated set of track rotors first..

Posted by Doug71zt(CAN) on August 10, 2024 at 12:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 35 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: Re: Re: Brake issue question posted by acetrebo on August 08, 2024 at 06:42 PM

Message High carbon material rotors with a higher heat capability pad than the blues.

The problem with switching back and forth pads is you can have uneven deposition and overheat some areas of the rotor. This changes the material composition of areas of the rotor, causing hard areas of rotor surface. You can’t bed in a new pad evenly, even if you machined the rotor. Those rotors are done as a track rotor, you will likely never get them hot enough on the street to noice anything.

If you have a set of rotors and pads for track days, they will only need to be bedded once likely. They will be good to go next track day.

That said, I have always felt that the Z32 was a bit short on front brake thermal capacity on stock brakes when running more than stock power. They need cooling ducts and the aluminum calipers are not rigid enough.

350Z Brembos are reasonably priced and do work well under 17” wheels. Tons of pad choice. Consumables are reasonable.

I run a set of 6-piston Brembo GT monoblocs with 370Z two-piece rotors…custom radial mounts for the Z32. Consumables are not cheap and they barely fit under 18” LM-GT4.
If I was going to track this car on a regular basis, I would run 350Z stuff or a Stoptech kit. Likely 350Z Brembo due to cost.
Or, a dedicated race caliper like Wilwood with a set of 2-piece rotors that use racing rotor friction rings (think Coleman/Wilwood/etc) They can be quite reasonable in price compared to buying replacement pads and rings for a Brembo/Ksport/AP racing/etc BBK.

I can’t comment on the Akebono 370Z brakes on the track, I’ve never run them on a track day.
That said, I run a set of 370Z F and R base brakes on my DD Altima 2.5 6MT sedan. They are great for that car on the street and are a direct bolt-on to the 2007-2012.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.