TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Severe Brake Shudder - Z32 Track Car
People Seeking Info

Subject Severe Brake Shudder - Z32 Track Car

Posted by NormZOH on December 04, 2023 at 12:59 PM
  This message has been viewed 274 times.

Message Hello Everyone -

I am having trouble diagnosing severe brake shuddering under intense braking situations.  Below I will give as much description as possible about the car and the brakes.  I have also posted a link to my youtube page showing a video of the shuddering.  

1990 300zx 2+2 - TT swap (half caged track car) with Akebono 370Z sport calipers and CZP 2 Piece front rotors.  Hawk DTC60 pads.  SS lines.  Motul 600 fluid.  

I am getting a severe shudder under hard braking situations as you can see in the video.  Note - this did not occur with the stock setup.  It has only occurred after the BBK.  I have also swapped rotors and upgraded to the 2 piece and made no changes.  I thought I had originally warped the slotted 1 piece rotors but that was not the case.  

I removed the ABS fuse to ensure it was not kicking in intermittently.  

Every nut, bolt has been torqued in the front end and brakes.  I had a fellow Z enthusiast go over the car and he is stumped as well.  

Having gone through everything mechanically, I am beginning to wonder if the stock master cylinder cannot handle the required extra fluid transfer necessary with the larger calipers.  Should I upgrade to the 17/16 master cylinder?  Could the ABS pump be faulty not allowing enough fluid to reach the calipers causing intermittent piston movement?  

Any help is appreciated.

https://youtube.com/shorts/-BbYSJ55pgI

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.