TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thinking out loud here
People Seeking Info

Subject Thinking out loud here

Posted by Cjw3 on November 19, 2023 at 8:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 168 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: Running very rich following initial warm-up posted by rhombicblue on November 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM

Message Ramble On

With the Moates Selector, you do not have an 'Auto Switch' that will select the Proper ROM Map based upon a GM Style Methanol Detector.. or do You have to be Completely Gasoline, or Completely Methanol?.. Looking at the Possibility of a Auto selector problem?

As SZ did the Tuning, I'm guessing they Used a ROM that is for an 93 or later, that does not need AIV's to operate at idle?.. Back Story.. 90-92 Z's have AIV's that Inject Air into the Exhaust System at Idle, and the Idle Mixture is OPEN LOOP set at about 12:1 AFR.
'93 and later do not have AIV's and the ROM code for them run the Idle Mixture in CLOSED LOOP of ~14:1 AFR.. MOST tuned ROMs use the 93 and later ROM code as the idle is much cleaner.. Note :.. If you have a 90-92 z with a stock ROM that needs to pass Smog ( Ca ) Then Have a Tuned ROM installed, or get a 93-94 8 Bit ECU for your type of car.. it will likely pass Smog, if all is functioning, except the AIV's.. they need to be there for inspection, but do not need to work.. 93and later is a better ROM code!

Lets say you have a 93 or later ECU in your Zed. As you likely do.. IF you have a problem with a coolant Sensor, the ECU will 'Simulate' a number Based upon how long it has been from the last start.. And it will do a good job of it.. That is likely not your problem.

To be in Idle Mode, the TPS must be closed ( Switch Made) the Ignition Timing will fall back to 15 Deg ( Check it Please )..

If you are Idling at 15 Deg, then the ECU thinks is Warm and Happy. If it's not idling at 15 Deg, then it's not in Idle mode.. and we need to check why that is..

Do you have Software like Conzult?.. ECU Talk works, just not as meny features as Conzult.. but it's free..

Also need a Conzult Cable.. E-Bay has them..

Once you get the Software and Hardware, 'We' can see what the ECU is seeing.. and things get clearer..

My '93 NA ECU will sit nicely in Idle Mode, triming Fuel ( how ever Slowly but it does )..

Do you have ONE Wideband or Two.. By using Conzult or ECU talk we can see the NB o2 sensors, and see ir the problem is on one side or both.. that will help in troubleshooting..

Fuel pressure staying at 40 for a long time it a GREAT thing.. That says injector seals are good..

Spark plug Missfire will cause Exhaust AFR's to go nuts.. Could it just be Plugs?..

Side Note #2.. Moates is no longer available.. I'm glad I got my Ostrich when I did.. Just wish I purchased more of them.. I've also had to change the Battery on my Twice now.. I've had it a long time.. The Batteries are solder in Coin Pack.

Ramble Off

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.