TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thanks. At one point during this ordeal I think I
People Seeking Info

Subject Thanks. At one point during this ordeal I think I

Posted by doug8867 on November 02, 2023 at 4:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 134 times.

In Reply To If you've got heat you've got friction posted by MyBlueZ on November 02, 2023 at 02:47 PM

Message Did have the parking brake misadjusted in addition to whatever else is going on but I went back in and completely loosened it so there was no parking brake, yet I still had the heat and dragging issue. I used the tt.net adjustment procedure.

I also adjusted it a third time, removing one side parking brake parts and reinstalling to check for cable pull movement, then relubed contact points and had the CarX guys examine it and they found no issue. It’s still pretty slack by parking brake standards as I was waiting to get the heat issue worked out before tightening back to previous tension.

I don’t have the severe dragging issue I had before but definitely have the friction on the the rotors where the pads meet as parts of the pads have melted on the rotors and they are dusty and wearing extremely fast despite limited driving. The front pads replaced at same time still look new, and they don’t get hot.

Agree about the bearing not being likely since not having any noise or other typical issues. Had one go on my wife’s car and it was pretty obvious.

Even though the calipers seem to be retracting my guess is they must not be retracting enough so probably going to tear them apart again. Clean the pistons with some extra fine steel wool, and the inside of the bores which I did not do the first time and then test it with air on the bench and see how easily they go in and out. Maybe buy new pistons if I can’t get smooth action, but they look great with no pitting or rust on the exterior surfaces that meet the bore so have a hard time believing they are a problem.

I also wondered if maybe I got a wonky Centric caliper rebuild kit and the square seals aren’t quite up to spec so don’t create enough friction to draw the pistons all the way back. Grasping at straws..

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.