TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - If you've got heat you've got friction
People Seeking Info

Subject If you've got heat you've got friction

Posted by MyBlueZ on November 02, 2023 at 2:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 129 times.

In Reply To I searched but couldn’t find any videos of 300zx posted by doug8867 on October 28, 2023 at 08:04 PM

Message I'm just a shadetree mechanic, but I'd lean towards the parking brake not being installed or adjusted properly since you stated that you just replaced those components and things may not be spinning freely even with the caliper off. And I hate drum brakes in general so I always blame them for something, even if it is only an e-brake.

I'd remove the rotor again and triple check your work on those shoes, springs, levers, etc. including making sure you have the correct parts installed. If the shoes are dragging then you should see some evidence on the inside of the drum. Put it all back together and then go through the adjustment procedure here -- [ http://twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/faq/FAQpages/prknbrake.html. ] There's also videos out there in Google land.

If that doesn't work then I'd start looking deeper. Bearings? Maybe but you'd almost certainly hear them grumble/complain before they generate that much friction and heat. I'd look more closely at the hydraulics -- like debris in the lines that is blocking fluid flow in one direction, causing pressure to not release fully from the rear. Or a failed/blocked valve in the master cylinder or in the ABS module.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.