TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: OEM Transmission question... Help!!
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: OEM Transmission question... Help!!

Posted by Humble-Zed on September 01, 2023 at 11:04 AM
  This message has been viewed 184 times.

In Reply To OEM Transmission question... Help!! posted by Humble-Zed on August 30, 2023 at 01:51 PM

Message *** UPDATE ***

Wanted to thank Everyone for saving me $2000+!! Here's what happened...

I called Pitstop P. yesterday to ask for an update. Vitally said they found me an OEM mid 'H' pipes off a '95 Z to replace my broken original one and is in excellent shape. $200, not bad. I explained about the reverse assembly unit and the spring in it might have broken. I told him I could work on it next week so no worries now. He said the Z would be ready by end of day (5pm). Then in about an hour later (about 2pm) he said its ready!

When I entered his shop (I'd upload pics of his NEW showroom if it was easy to do) and saw a big smile on his face. Why? He said he Fixed the reverse locked out by my instructions. I told him it was Twinturbo.net but thanks!

** Last timing belt change was done 20k miles ago and March of 2019. (over 4yrs ago)
He said my idler pulleys were in great shape, he replaced the studs bolts, cam seals which were worn, Nissan OEM t-belt, upgraded to 2 silicone hoses, water pump (using Prestone all vehicles) which looked like new! Basically a 60k mile kit with a few additional parts. I asked if I could have my 20k mile timing belt so he took me back to their garage and gave it to me after showing me underneath another Z32 on a lift of where that reverse unit was on the tranny. With that lip under the unit I can see why its not easy to reach. He replaced the Spring which was Broke on mine with only with what he could find around the shop... off a '96 Z tranny. And he didn't charge me so the job of that must have been quick to do and complete. A mechanic there with black hands told me in over 20yrs of working there he hadn't ever seen a quick fix for unlocking the reverse gear in a Z!! So that reverse unit they took the spring out to install in my Z was very valuable to them since its now discontinued. But I saw that tiny unit... about a little larger than my thumb. No wonder its held in my a single 10mm bolt.

** I'm planning on replacing the tranny fluid with around 3.2qrts of new MT-90 next week.

So all in all you came through for me!
My wife was hysterical and over joyed when I told her we fixed the reverse issue and won't be buying a new tranny at $2000+!

This is why I'll never buy a New car compared to a Used one... because a used has a History and can be researched.

* A perk of being a Z owner for so long.

Thanks again!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.