TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Loud rattle / clattering from engine bay (video link in post
People Seeking Info

Subject Loud rattle / clattering from engine bay (video link in post

Posted by just4kinks on June 21, 2023 at 5:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 181 times.

Message Hi folks, I've been getting my Z running again after barely driving it for the last 10 years or so. Everything was looking good so yesterday I took it for a nice spirited drive on a windy mountain road. Had a great drive, but at the end I heard a sound and pulled over, there was a really loud rattle / clattering from the engine bay. It sounded terrible, I thought I was going to be walking home, but it went away after 30 seconds or maybe a minute.

I continued my drive at a moderate pace but the sound happened again. It happened four or five times before I got home. I was able to take this video: La-Z-Link

It hasn't happened again since yesterday. My best guess was that some debris had been kicking around between the fan and the radiator, but I pulled the shroud today and found nothing in there. The radiator has a few bent fins, but from the sound I would expect to find a lot more damage. Is it possible something is kicking around under the timing belt cover? I just had the timing belt service done so I don't suspect anything deteriorating in there. Any other ideas?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.