TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'm not an engine builder
People Seeking Info

Subject I'm not an engine builder

Posted by megaDan on June 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM
  This message has been viewed 143 times.

In Reply To Cometic MHG, ARP Chromoly Studs, Washer size, Nightmare! posted by plower1 on June 09, 2023 at 03:30 PM

Message But I saw basically the exact same issue. Built motor in 2010, had cylinder 5 lose compression, but possibly some cooling issues contributing to failure.

I pulled the heads, cleaned all mating surfaces. Checked the blocks for cracks using dye penetrant inspection. Verified flatness with a straightedge and feeler gage. Verified surface finish with a comparison gage.

I elected to go with another set of Cometic gaskets, as adjustable cam gears were not in stock. The amount of material removed from the mating surfaces during my build necessitated one of the two. I experienced some of the head indentation from the smaller ARP washers and elected to use ARP nut > ARP washer > OEM washer to distribute the load. There are varying schools of thought as to the appropriateness of this decision from what I remember.

Car has been running better than ever for the 2.5 seasons since my headgasket replacement. Now I've jinxed myself.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.