TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Clutch Pedal Fail
People Seeking Info

Subject Clutch Pedal Fail

Posted by ZTurboFan on May 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM
  This message has been viewed 170 times.

Message This is on a 1990 Fairlady Z (RHD) Twin Turbo

My son was driving the car, and was shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. He pushed the clutch pedal in, and an audible noise from inside the cabin was heard. He also claims to have felt it in his foot. The car would not shift in to second gear. He pulled the car to the side of the road.

Manages to get the car in to first gear while it is turned off. Pushes the clutch pedal to the floor and starts the car. The car lurches forward. (So clutch pedal is clearly not disengaging)

Car stalls.

I get it towed home for him the next day.

Then, here is exactly what happens. Ignition off. I get the car in the air. I ask him to push the clutch in, and he does, and I'm watching the slave. The slave moves about 1/4" (I measured) and that is all. I am assuming the travel should be greater. He says the pedal feels different. I look at the master and while he is pushing the clutch pedal, the master actually moves. (Thought that was probably strange but the whole assembly moves)

I decide I want to actually watch what is happening inside the tranny so I get under the car and ask him to press the clutch again. This time, as he does so, the clutch pedal breaks! Now the pedal just kind of flops around when you push it. Not on a proper trajectory, etc.

SO, here are my questions.

Thoughts on what the initial problem was? (I think bearing problem possibly)

Thoughts on why the clutch pedal broke?

Last question would be how do you actually remove the clutch pedal assembly? I mean, it looks like it is attached to the clutch master. Almost like if I remove those two nuts holding the master, I'd be able to pull out the pedal assembly?

Anyone ever heard of this sequence of events happening?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.