TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - starter grinding
People Seeking Info

Subject starter grinding

Posted by coilerDH on May 04, 2023 at 2:48 PM
  This message has been viewed 119 times.

Message I have posted about this before... yet it still continues.
1991 tt 5 speed.

The starter grinds the flywheel randomly. Sometimes every time the car is started. Sometimes it won't for a few days or a week.

I bought this car 2 years ago. It sat for a time because of a bad rear main seal leak a valve cover leak and a worn out clutch. I don't know if this was a problem with the previous owner. Because of the randomness I assume that it could have already been a problem... but not noticed because I had only driven the car a few times. It became a major issue after the problems were fixed and I was now driving the car a few times a week.

What I have done.
1) Z1 flywheel and street clutch
2) Tried 2 starters from AutoZone and Oreillys
3) The current starter is a Nissan reman
4) I have inspected the flywheel each time I have changed the starter. Nothing stands out as a problem.
5) New battery
6) New starter relay
7) I have spoken with Z1 about any reported issues with the flywheel

From my research it seems that "bad" remans are the number one issue people report. Someone I spoke with that rebuilds starters says its definitely a flywheel problem. Says that the Nissan reman should be fine. Stay away from cheap remans. However he was not able to say why it would be so intermittent if something was wrong with the flywheel.
I have read about the n/a 5 speed can be used in a tt, but needs a starter spacer because of the difference in flywheel size. I am wondering if this car could have an n/a tranny and it needs a spacer. Can anyone advise if the n/a 5 speed could be a potential cause because of no spacer. Could the car operate as I describe if this was true? I have a Z1 starter spacer. Does anyone think I should give it a try? I am concerned about adding a spacer where one is not suppose to go and now I have caused more problems.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.