TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I don't think silicone hose is recommended for fuel
People Seeking Info

Subject I don't think silicone hose is recommended for fuel

Posted by Agent X on April 28, 2023 at 8:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 111 times.

In Reply To Coolant and gas smell in the vents posted by Primera25 on April 28, 2023 at 06:23 AM

Message There are special silicone hoses with liners that are fuel resistant.

"This is a question we know gets asked often. Can you use silicone hoses for fuel hoses? Well standard silicone hoses are porous and therefore not suitable for oil or fuel. There are flurosilicone liners, which are specially formulated to prevent oil from penetrating the wall but we would not recommend these for Fuel lines, or heavy use of Fuel Filling. Occasional fuel usage and vapour will be fine but there are better options when it comes to selecting fuel hoses"
https://www.viperperformance.co.uk/blog/silicone-hoses-fuel-resistant/

"What happens when fuel or oil comes into contact with silicone?
Silicone has a molecular structure that is very stable overall at a wide range of temperatures and pressures, and its generally inert structure makes it safe for a range of applications from baby food to engine coolant. However, fuel and oil are some of the only substances that tend to break down this molecular structure, making it unreliable for use in your vehicle’s fuel lines. These substances tend to act as a solvent on your silicone, essentially dissolving it gradually. You can envision the way that water would gradually eat away at a tube made of cardboard. Oil, most acids, and dilute sodium hydroxide do this to silicone."
https://www.siliconehose.com/blog/oil-fuel-and-silicone-hoses-/

--------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Conversation between my sister and my wife (shortly before we
got married):
Wife: "You know, sometimes I think he loves that Z more than he
does me."
Sister: "He probably does, and as long as you're okay with that,
everything will be fine."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.