TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: I'm leaning towards a bad alternator.
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: I'm leaning towards a bad alternator.

Posted by Agent X on April 21, 2023 at 11:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 113 times.

In Reply To Re: I'm leaning towards a bad alternator. posted by Hiruzai_z32 on April 21, 2023 at 10:27 AM

Message I don't think the compressor clutch will engage without an adequate amount of refrigerant in the system. For 94+ they went to R134: "Revisions for R134A included a revised condenser which featured a denser fin arrangement, and a two-way pressure sensor switch on the receiver/drier (which would turn the compressor off if pressures became excessively high or low." (Note the "high or low".)
https://conceptzperformance.com/wiki/index.php/Air_Conditioning_System
What may be happening (without trying to look in the FSM) is that when you call for A/C, the engine tries to compensate by raising the RPMs by adding a little more air, which it should (RPMs raising isn't because of anything the alternator is doing). But if the refrigerant level is too low then the compressor clutch doesn't engage and the engine RPMs just rise. Normally when the compressor engages, the drain on the motor at idle could stall the engine, so the extra air brings it back to normal.
I believe these compressor clutches work with an electromagnet that gets a signal when you call for A/C and all other system components are good. The signal goes to the coil in the clutch, energizes it and pulls the clutch plate in to the pulley. Otherwise, the compressor pulley just spins freely. I had the coil go bad on our 2006 Pathfinder. I was able to pick up a new coil on ebay and change it out. 2 local shops wanted to change the compressor (or more) for lots of $$$.

If the clutch engages and the compressor is dragging the engine down even with the increase in idle air, then there has to be some serious resistance inside the compressor.
You mention belts slipping/stopping. You might want to check the belt tension too.

With the engine off, you could try and turn the plate on the front of the compressor pulley. This is bolted to the compressor shaft. I don't know what it would take to turn it "by hand".
Here is an image of the clutch assembly where you see the coil (that sits inside the pulley), the pulley that always turns with the engine, and the clutch plate that connects to the compressor and engages the pulley when the system calls for A/C and all system parameters are normal (example: low or high pressure would cause the pressure switch to block the signal to the clutch coil, keeping it from engaging).
https://conceptzperformance.com/nissan-infiniti-nissan-oem-300zx-clutch-assy-ac-compressor-93-z32-92660-30p11_p_6333.php

--------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Conversation between my sister and my wife (shortly before we
got married):
Wife: "You know, sometimes I think he loves that Z more than he
does me."
Sister: "He probably does, and as long as you're okay with that,
everything will be fine."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.