TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I thought the same thing before I did mine. No matter how
People Seeking Info

Subject I thought the same thing before I did mine. No matter how

Posted by Woodnutz (PA) on February 22, 2022 at 10:45 AM
  This message has been viewed 120 times.

In Reply To Re: Timming belt posted by MikeJ on February 15, 2022 at 06:29 AM

Message careful I tried to be, one intake cam just would not stay put. The truth is, even if it jumps on you, as unsettling as it is when it goes, it's just the valve spring(s) going to their most relaxed/expanded position possible, thus letting the valves close. When I was setting the cam sprocket to the belt, I rotated it by hand to get the marks on the belt and sprocket to align.

As I recall, the PS intake cam was the "touchy" one that just wouldn't stay in position (it's been a few years), so I started at the crank sprocket, then worked around to the other three, using spring clamps to hold the belt to those cam sprockets.

Via the tech pages, here's the writeup - Step #28 discusses letting the camshafts go to "rest"
60k service

Good luck in doing the job - it's really not as imtimidating as it appears at first glance, as long as you have the discipline to follow all the instructions and tips. If you hit a snag, don't hesitate to reach out here.

As it's been said here, and as the instructions say, once you have it aligned, count the teeth, then rotate the crank a couple of times with a ratchet/breaker bar. If you run into harsh resistance (you'll have some resistance as you compress the valve springs, but it's smooth resistance that quickly subsides), stop and check/redo the alignment. If you have the belt marks aligned to the dimples on the sprockets, you shouldn't have an issue, but counting teeth is good insurance.

- Aaron

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.