TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Your symptoms sound similar to what I've been
People Seeking Info

Subject Your symptoms sound similar to what I've been

Posted by black300zx on November 06, 2021 at 4:59 PM
  This message has been viewed 182 times.

In Reply To Updates: Tried a few more things today. posted by Woody75 (Denver) on October 30, 2021 at 11:47 AM

Message Troubleshooting on my NA. Intermittent "soft" miss at idle and medicore low RPM performance. I also have higher PSI on one bank. A few thoughts:

1 - I noticed a PTU wire with cracked insulation just behind the weather seal on the connectors. I depinned it and found corrosion where the wire was crimped onto the PTU terminal. I resoldered it and it seemed to help, although it's still not 100%

2 - One of the VTC solenoid plugs on the EFI harness also had a small crack in the insulation. I saw it short out against the mounting bracket when I was moving harnesses around.

3 - If it has newer style vtc gears, it's possible that someone took them apart and reassembled them out of alignment. This would alter the cam timing despite the gear position and tooth count being correct. If you have a degree wheel you could check to see if the actual cam timings are correct. As Bernie mentioned above, damaged cam dowels could also alter cam timing.

4 - have the heads or block been decked? If so, you'll get a timing shift between banks that would need adjustable VTC gears to fix

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.