TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Re: Re: Running in oil - 10/30 or 10/40?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Re: Re: Running in oil - 10/30 or 10/40?

Posted by Cjw3 on May 02, 2021 at 5:47 PM
  This message has been viewed 180 times.

In Reply To Re: Re: Running in oil - 10/30 or 10/40? posted by DanielThomas on May 02, 2021 at 12:38 PM

Message 'Thin' is a relative term.. Generally I've come to know thin in engine oil terms as 20 or 30.. you have to be able to have an oil that will stand up to pressure , but still lubricate given the ruff surface its running on because things are still new and Ruff.. As the machine runs longer the surface will get polished, and will stop shedding debris.. then you can go with a thicker oil that will handle higher unit pressure, and more heat.. then you can start pushing the engine..

Generally I was taught.. Initial fill with 20 or 30 Oil.. Do engine stress to seat rings.. then treat it carefully for 100 miles, change oil and filter after 100 miles.. Then Change all at 1000 miles.. Then Change at 3000 miles and you can start pushing it after then..

I know others that just rebuild and run the hell out of it.. So it's up to you how you do it..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.