TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Get it up on stands, and remove spring tension to diagnose
People Seeking Info

Subject Get it up on stands, and remove spring tension to diagnose

Posted by Gordo LSZ Daytona on April 25, 2021 at 3:19 AM
  This message has been viewed 176 times.

In Reply To Rear drivetrain noise posted by infoschumi on April 24, 2021 at 07:25 AM

Message I've had similar issues with noises related to drivetrain slop, what I thought was excessive free-play for all rebuilt and/or new parts. Mine turned out to be the bolts shaft diameter in the rear diff flange were undersized at 12mm dia instead of the 14mm required, and this allowed the flange to turn ever so slightly until I reinstalled the correct shoulder bolts. It was a mix up in the rebuild. Unlikely its your issue, but in my case it wasn't discovered until I went back and repeated almost every step of the process. You may have to the same.

I agree that getting the car up on a lift or jackstands is the best method to diagnosis a problem like this. You may have to remove the rear springs to relieve tension in order to find the play. Also consider the bushings between the subframe and the chassis, they are getting old and its almost impossible to 'bench test' them for any slop. And yes, I've also had to have a second person ride in the hatch to help diagnose a noise.

Be aware that If you've installed ES, in the differential, or anywhere on the path between the source of the noise and the cabin, the noise is louder now because ES are polyurethane and are harder and transmission impact harshness better than rubber compounds you were using before.

Finally, don't discount the trans itself as the problem. Keep at it, you'll find the source.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.