TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Seems excessive to me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Seems excessive to me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted by Cjw3 on March 06, 2021 at 11:26 AM
  This message has been viewed 200 times.

In Reply To Seems excessive to me>>>>>>>>>>>>>> posted by ZUL8TR on March 06, 2021 at 08:45 AM

Message I'm REALLY slow at building a Motor.. I Plastigauge the bearings.. Adjust ot Shim as needed to get clearance ( Shiming Bearings is OLD Skool.. Been doing it for a long time )

Do the Final Install on the Crank into the Block, with the bearings and any Shims used ( I graduated from News Print to Aluminum Foil somewhere in the '80's )
Install Each Rod and Piston NO RINGS..One at a Time.. Torque to Speck.
Each Rod Piston Set that I put in, I roll the Engine a Few Times to get a 'Feel' of where the Hard Spots are.. Some Places will be Tougher than others but it should never 'Drag'..
I'm looking ( in my Minds Eye ) where the Journals are Tight.. As the Journals and the Bearings are not round, so it's possable to have Clearance on the 'Top and Bottom' where you put the Plastigauge, but when the 'Side of the Journal' rolls next to the Bearing it might get a little tight.
Install the Piston Rods One at a time untill they are all in.. Feel the Engine as it's turning over with each new rod/Piston Set.. you will get a Feel for how the Load increases for each 'Set'..
No only can you feel Bearing Problems, you can feel Bent Con Rods.. As the Motion of the Wrist Pin is wrong.. and you can feel it without all the Ring Dragging..

It Takes a while to do this.. But I've learned the Hard way a long time ago.. So all my Motors ( and Equipment ) will be assembled many time to 'Feel' it it will last after I walk away..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.