TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - My best advice would be to read up on as much as you can...
People Seeking Info

Subject My best advice would be to read up on as much as you can...

Posted by Woodnutz (PA) on March 04, 2021 at 9:54 AM
  This message has been viewed 145 times.

In Reply To Planning First Plenum Pull, need General Advice posted by sandisc on March 04, 2021 at 08:09 AM

Message and also knock out as much as you can while you're in there. Just be careful to not get too close to the black hole, or you won't be able to escape.

There are some really good writeups available. There's the tech page here on tt.net, Nytwolf's procedure, and a summarized version of his document on the Z32 wiki page. Personally, I printed out Nyfwolf's document and walked through it step-by-step.

NytWolf's writeup

Z32 Wiki Coolant Bypass

The items you have listed are good to do, but I'll add some notes. If not already done, I would also do the AIV, PRVR and EGR delete. AIV and PRVR is very easy, and EGR disabling is easy (solenoid removal), although the valve itself is impractical to try remove with the transmission in.

I would say leave the EGR in if there's nothing wrong with it, but as I found out when I did my valve covers, the tubes that run from the valve to the plenum are difficult to work around - especially considering the exhaust valve covers use RTV as opposed to a formed rubber gasket. Hitting that obstacle was the deciding factor for me to yank the EGR. Fortunately, I was also doing my clutch, so the transmission was out, allowing removal of the valve itself (still had to cut one tube - the one from the DS exhaust manifold). If you remove the solenoid and clean up the vacuum lines, the valve will just sit there, never actuating. The fewer vacuum lines/connections there are, the less potential for leaks and their resultant issues.

The PCV system is another opportunity for cleanup. There's varying opinions on how this should be done, but I'll tell you what I did. I did what I would call a half-delete. If you don't know about the system, it's two-phase - one area operates when the plenum is under vacuum and one area that effectively operates continuously. The continuous portion consists of the hoses that connect the intake valve covers to the turbo intake pipe (accordion pipe) on both sides of the engine. I merely replaced these old hoses with silicone ones and deleted everything else (all tubes tied to the DS exhaust valve cover and plenum). All of those "rear" PCV hoses were removed, along with the valves screwed into the underside of the plenum. I pressed plugs into the holes in the DS exhaust valve cover and bolted the available blocking plates to the plenum. FYI, I was also leaking oil from this valve cover, as the tubes had worked loose.

My justification for doing it this way is primarily driven by the fact that the crankcase venting from the intake valve covers to the turbo inlets is always under vacuum if the car is running. Decluttering, which the deleted parts helped with, is always a bonus, provided it doesn't cause any new issues. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions on the other means to improve the PCV system.

Another excellent reference for learning about the car is Robo's site, specifically the page from his 1992 Z:

Robo's 1992

I still consider myself new at this (bought mine in June of 2018), and I've used the tech pages here on tt.net, Robo's site and the Z32 Wiki very extensively as I worked on and learned about the car.

Best of luck and let us know how things go! Also, be sure to hit up Bernie for parts and advice, too. That's pretty much a given, but just in case you don't know who he is.

- Aaron

IMG_2258 - Cropped

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.