TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - High RPM stutter, det, breaking up
People Seeking Info

Subject High RPM stutter, det, breaking up

Posted by Ashiu on February 22, 2021 at 4:48 PM
  This message has been viewed 347 times.

Message I have this issue I haven't quite figured out. Little back story, the car ran fine, the belt jumped off at idle, compression was good on all but one cylinder, removed that head, had a shop replace the 2 intake valves, I filled the chamber with fuel to check for leaks, no leaks, put the head on, put everything back together. The only thing besides the valves that was changed, was that I also, capped off the PCV system.
The vehicle runs, idles good, drives good, its only when you start to get in the higher rpm's around 12-14psi will it start to sputter, knock, misfire, or something. It doesn't fall on it's face, but you can feel it's losing power.

All the coils ohm at .6, the plugs look ok, they are the same ones as before and only have about 6k miles on them. They were gapped at .032 before @18psi w/o issues. I recently rechecked them after I noticed the issue, they are still the same. Boost leak test seems fine.

The fuel tank was pretty much empty when the engine was pulled a part, so at this point, I don't know if I got bad fuel from Shell when I refilled it, or if the plugs (NGK Iridium IX #7's) might be bad??? The fuel pump and injectors (oem TT and Nismo 740's) also only have about 6k miles on them.

It's kind of hard for me to pinpoint it since it only happens in the 5k+ area under boost. You would think bad plugs or fuel would show other places as well. I can cruise down the road in 3rd gear with the engine at 4k rpms and no issue. I'm kind of running out of ideas w/o just tossing money at parts. Any ideas? Thanks.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.