TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: 300zx cranks but no start
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: 300zx cranks but no start

Posted by MyBlueZ on February 04, 2021 at 4:50 PM
  This message has been viewed 241 times.

In Reply To 300zx cranks but no start posted by DanielThomas on February 03, 2021 at 03:28 PM

Message I figured someone would respond by now, but since not I'll throw my 2 cents in which is probably all it's worth.

I know you said you thought it was running lean or running out of fuel, but consider the possibility that it could be getting too much fuel. I had this happen when I replaced a couple of bad injectors. On one of them I must have tweaked an o-ring when I seated the injector in the rail. It allowed unmetered gas to drip past the o-ring. It did what you described and wouldn't stay running. After I finished cursing the darned thing, it took me a minute to diagnose, thinking that I put new bad injectors in to replace old bad ones. Nope -- just a bad mechanic :-)

Checking fuel pressure showed it was perfect when cranking. But it dropped off just a little bit faster than it should have after sitting off for a few mins. I pulled the spark plugs on those cylinders with the new injectors and one clearly was soaked in gas. I removed the injectors again (which is a PITA), got another set of brand new o-rings and reseated them more carefully. And she started right up and ran on all 6 for the first time in a while.

That's just one example of a little thing that can cause big issues. Always go back to air, fuel, spark in your diagnosis. It needs all three on time and in the correct amounts to run properly. Hope that helps.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.