TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Time to turn up the boost? HKS 2530
People Seeking Info

Subject Time to turn up the boost? HKS 2530

Posted by down5hift-2 on October 26, 2020 at 8:35 AM
  This message has been viewed 287 times.

Message Hello,
I'm an old forum member from Dallas-used to have the screenname down5hift, but I cannot figure out the login. Was very active in the early 2000's.
I purchased a 91TT with mods listed below, but its been tuned to run very little boost. The controller is set to 1 bar, but I have not seen it over .75 according to the gauge on the boost controller. Is this disparity possibly due to a gain setting on the blitz controller? Maybe a plumbing issue?

It pulls very hard compared to my past stage 3 TT, even though its running similar amounts of boost. The engine sounds great--no hint of knocking, although idle is very slightly rough. Does not seem like its missing. Does seem to run a bit rich--theres a smell of gas in the exhaust although this may be due to race cats?

My question is, is there anything I should do before I crank the boost up a bit? Maybe run a boost leak test, check the plugs, resistance test the injectors? The engine has about 25k miles on it. Internals are factory but gaskets are upgraded. Previous owner was an older gentleman, and the current tires cannot handle the boost setting as is. I don't think its had higher levels of boost since its build. The build was done by a reputable Z shop.

Also, anyone have any idea what the AFC is doing? This seems redundant given the upgraded ECU and low boost. Should I check the ECU serial to make sure it's the correct one for my injectors? Is there anyway to datalog the AF with a laptop so I can tweak it on the road rather than on a dyno? Possibly need an upgraded o2 sensor?

I'd really like to get this thing over 450hp at the wheels. Shouldn't be much of an issue given the setup, but I want to make sure I'm doing it safely.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

HKS2530 turbochargers
Nismo 555cc injectors
GReddy side-mount intercoolers
JWT ECU
JWT dual pop
Labree 2.5" stainless steel cat-back exhaust
3" Inconel exhaust manifolds
Racing Cats
Blitz boost control
APEXi S-AFCII super airflow converter

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.