TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Your ECU isn't your problem.
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Your ECU isn't your problem.

Posted by madkiwi on September 24, 2020 at 10:45 AM
  This message has been viewed 146 times.

In Reply To Your ECU isn't your problem. posted by Bernie (NoVA) on September 17, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Message I was looking for all the unlikely causes for knock, without paying attention to the service manual. In the FSM on page EF & EC 104 there is a specific diagnostic procedure for knock- step one look for intake air leaks, step two check EGR operation, step 3 check the EGR solenoid.

All I had to do was follow those steps from the beginning but I assumed that professionals who worked on my car had put it back together right so I was thinking it had to be something exotic (bad gas, faulty KS, faulty MAF). Even after I found the vacuum hose for the EGR was disconnected I just assumed the solenoid and the EGR itself was fine.

But I was still experiencing safety boost.

On Sunday I finally went through the diagnostic steps. I checked the EGR valve, it was working fine. I disconnected the solenoid plug... terminals were corroded. So when the ECU was signalling for the EGR valve to operate the solenoid wasn't switching on. It has been 4 days since I gave the terminals a good cleaning, no safety boost.

Not being a professional mechanic I have no idea how some things happen, and obviously it was to my disadvantage.

I may just keep the JWT chip for now.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.