TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - boost leak testing and idle drop questions
People Seeking Info

Subject boost leak testing and idle drop questions

Posted by acetrebo on August 10, 2020 at 12:45 PM
  This message has been viewed 214 times.

Message Sorry if this is long, will try to be brief.......
Part 1 - When I'm driving car in 2nd or 3rd gear, and shit to neutral, say as coming to a stop light, the rpms drop very low, sometimes come back up, sometimes wants to stall. Today I reset the tps and checked the readings, and did the procedure. It didn't help. Where can I look next?
Car details: 91 TT, idles perfectly, runs well, after rpm drop car comes back up to normal, stable idle. Also, I tested the Air regulator by the procedure in the fsm, squeeze hose while car running and warm. I had no rpm drop at all while testing that.

Part 2 -(part one could be affected by this) How do I properly test for boost leaks? I have a tester from z1. Am I supposed to constantly hold this pressure, or is it expected to bleed off? In other words, if I pump the intake up to 5 psi, should I hold 5psi constantly, or will it slowly bleed off even if there are no leaks?
I found a huge air leak at the rear of the engine. I suspected the EGR, so I plugged the vac line that goes to that, and that stopped the big leak. However, as I look for more, I hear air bleeding off around the mid rear of the engine, but cant find any hoses leaking. Also worth mentioning that I recently pulled the IAC unit and replaced all the hoses with new ones as well.

Thanks for any info. I have read a bunch of boost testing info but I'm not clear still. I have an ashspec ecu, 93 octane with dial to control the boost, and boost jets, but cant seem to ever get more that stock boost. I was getting 10-11 recently, then after replacing a lot of vac lines, and finding some items routed wrong, its back to stock boost. One thing I fixed, was on the passenger side, the vac line from the throttle body hose was going to the balance tube, instead of the wastegate. And, when I installed my boost jets, it went in there as that is where they go. So I fixed that, and ran the line to the wastegate to the post on the throttle body tube, and put my jet in there, and ran the other line from the recirc to the balance tube where it was supposed to go. Then my boost went down lol.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.