TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fuel tank pressure
People Seeking Info

Subject Fuel tank pressure

Posted by Birduk on July 19, 2020 at 6:27 AM
  This message has been viewed 166 times.

Message Hi all,
Rare that I post but I'm after a little help if you don't mind.

My car was re-shelled a little while and during a little general maintenance/looking around, I noticed a fuel line blocked (middle of the 3 that come up to the engine bay). Knowing this didn't seem quite right, I opened it back up as someone said they thought it would be the EVAP line but i quickly noticed a fuel smell and that fuel was coming from it and slowly leaking out when the car was parked. I thought that doesn't seem like vapours so something clearly not right

Long story short, I got under the car and found that the pipe in question is the fuel return line and corrected that in the engine bay.

My main concern here is that the fuel was previously returning via the EVAP vent line and I know there's a check valve under the car so I'm thinking it could have ended up badly.

Anyway, now that's fixed, I currently have the vent line left open as I don't have the carbon canister in the car. The car seems to start and run absolutely fine, but ive noticed that when the car has sat for a couple of days and a open the gas cap I don't get that swoosh (psssshhhhh noise) of the tank releasing pressure. Out of interest, I blocked the currently open Evap line yesterday and surely enough, there was the swoosh when opening the cap this morning.

So, hopefully that all made sense as to where I'm at.

So the first question is that when the car is off, should the tank build and maintain pressure? Wiki says it does but I guess that's normally with the carbon canister in place. In my head, when I think the canister is deleted and venting to atmosphere so there won't be pressure in the tank. But I'm not sure if it should build a certain amount and then vent to the EVAP line?

I guess I'm just conscious whether the fuel going back via the wrong line could have broken something like the check valve etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee

Follow Ups
  • Fuel tank pressure - Birduk 06:27:43 07/19/20

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.