TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I am trying to sort out exactly the same issue.
People Seeking Info

Subject I am trying to sort out exactly the same issue.

Posted by megaDan on July 12, 2020 at 9:33 AM
  This message has been viewed 217 times.

In Reply To Coolant doesn't run back to radiator? posted by Mika on July 11, 2020 at 02:18 AM

Message Thanks to a variety of past sins; I've compounded the issue and made diagnosis much more complicated.

First and foremost, I'll echo what Polishzx said above; make sure you've bled the system. I didn't get a warm fuzzy from your response that the radiator has been fully bled each time you've refilled it.

It sounds like you're sure the overflow tank lines are clear (mine were plugged), you can cross that off the list. My money is on the system not holding pressure throughout the cooling cycle; assuming the problem persists once you've bled/burped it properly.

If indeed you have bled the system, it's probably time for a cooling system pressure check. Rent a kit from Advance auto, pressurize it, and see if it holds pressure. I found a leak at my heater core and a pinhole leak in my radiator. The heater core leak was preventing the system from maintaining pressure, so when the system cooled down there was no vacuum to pull coolant back from the reservoir.

This is as far as I'm gotten in my diagnosis. I repaired my heater core and got the system to hold pressure overnight(despite a tiny pinhole in my radiator), filled it up (without bleeding) and found the same problem you had. A radiator absent some coolant. I've since bled it fully but haven't had a chance to test drive it. I'm pretty sure I've solved the issue....if not I'll probably be in the same position and posting here because I've tested everything I can think of.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.