TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Help with fuel in oil
People Seeking Info

Subject Help with fuel in oil

Posted by Agent X on June 01, 2020 at 2:38 PM
  This message has been viewed 176 times.

Message The issue seems to have started with the upgraded injectors and tune.

Background:
My Z sat for a year while I was between jobs and I had two failing (stock) injectors. It occurred to me that the timing belt was old and that it probably needed to be changed. I had a friend help load the Z on a trailer and we took it to George at Custom Concept Motorsports in Chattanooga for the work- timing belt service and injector upgrade w/tune.
The Z drives great, but I started noticing the oil smells of gas. So I started paying close attention to the indications that I have available.

I checked for codes AFTER I got the Z back and had codes for the coolant temp sensor and the knock sensor. CTS was changed (aftermarket) and the knock sensor and sub harness replaced (sensor relocated to back of plenum). Codes cleared.

TPS adjusted to get the "closed" indication and voltage correct.
O2 sensors were changed with Bosch units and no change in indications.
I pulled the plenum and cleaned the IACV and AAC- solenoid works with voltage.
While the plenum was off I lifted the complete fuel rail up and charged the system with the fuel pump. I had around 46psi on the rail (trying to remember, but it's been a month or two). Pressure dropped about 10 psi over the next 1-2 hours and another 10-12 psi over the next 18 hours. I did not notice any fuel leaking at the injectors and did not remove them from the rail.

The indicator I'm referring to is my Apexi turbo timer that piggybacks off of the ECM for AFR. I notice that while driving it will hold around 14.6. However, when warm at idle it will often show between 12-13. I know this isn't exactly accurate but I don't have a wideband, and it seems to coincide with the fuel in the oil, so I have to believe the 2 could be related. Sometimes when driving and coming to a stop it will hold around 14 A/F. Most of the time the A/F goes rich (I've seen it dip into the 11's). When A/C is on the A/F seems to shift back toward 14-ish.
I have tried disconnecting the battery numerous times in my troubleshooting and it never seems to correct the issue.

Again, the car drives and seems to run great. But the diluted oil (and I'm not saying it's a lot- the oil pan isn't flooded with gas or anything) is bothering me.
Is it possible the tune could be off, given the CTS code I had after the tune that was likely there during the tune? Would it affect it if this was just a standard injector upgrade off-the-shelf tune? Is it possible that there is an injector leak under vacuum at idle that I didn't see with the rail out?

--------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Conversation between my sister and my wife (shortly before we
got married):
Wife: "You know, sometimes I think he loves that Z more than he
does me."
Sister: "He probably does, and as long as you're okay with that,
everything will be fine."

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.