TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I would do a vacuum test then a smoke test it to see if >>
People Seeking Info

Subject I would do a vacuum test then a smoke test it to see if >>

Posted by ZUL8TR on May 24, 2020 at 4:55 AM
  This message has been viewed 117 times.

In Reply To Re: Low compression on all 6 after doing full OEM gasket kit posted by eldergolfer21 on May 22, 2020 at 05:35 PM

Message any noticeable leaks are in the intake system. These are non invasive tests and easy to do.

Vacuum test details:

[ http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/vacuum/ ]

An engine in great shape will pull 17, 18 - 21 " Hg depending on design with a steady needle, no vibs or flutters with the needle. The test can reveal valve issues and other. See details in link.

Connect gage to a hose nipple on balance tube

You already did compression and it has been suggested that the valves could be an issue with leaking, vacuum test can confirm.

Since you did gaskets that could be an issue with leaks.

To keep cylinder temp variable about the same I have always done compression tests at room temp engine (yes the results are different than for warmed up engine). Then future tests are easy to compare to have relative results using the "same gage", relative changes are important. Did this way on the track and circuit race cars and now on the race outboards. Pulling plugs on a hot Z32 is a PITA and what temp do you record for the test to keep consistent results?

ZUL8TR

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.