TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Hi again. What's missing from your diagnostic check, is
People Seeking Info

Subject Hi again. What's missing from your diagnostic check, is

Posted by SirpriZ on May 21, 2020 at 3:43 PM
  This message has been viewed 172 times.

In Reply To Re: In reading your description of your leakdown testing, I posted by eekay on May 20, 2020 at 08:22 PM

Message the integrity of the seating of the intake valves. If you are not burning oil or pushing oil out of the exhaust (blue/white color) your rings are probably OK, if you don't hear any hissing out of the exhaust during a leak down your exhaust valves are probably seating well. That leaves the intake valves (I recently had to rebuild my Z due to knife edged/worn intake valves (all the cylinders were low on a compression and leak down test). The only other component that could fail and reduce compression are the head gaskets. But since all your numbers are low, that's beyond unlikely. It's possible that all you need is a head job (well not you, but your engine). If you are comfortable removing and replacing your engine, you could do a "simple rebuild". You would just refresh the engine by having the heads refreshed, new bearings, rings, and gaskets. I have no skin in the game regarding your choice of an engine. Just to throw some ideas at you; you can get 400 rwhp out of your Z for alot less than $10,000: 2 1/2" exhaust from turbo back (with divorced down pipes) with your stock turbos, a dual air cleaner intake, SZ 2 1/2" intake piping and intercoolers, and either a custom or off the shelf tune should put you right around 400rwhp. You might make a little more, or less depending on how much boost you can run safely. I suggested 2 1/2" exhaust as a money savings step, as you can find used 2 1/2" downpipes, and midpipes cheap. Another fairly inexpensive step you can do, is while your heads are out you can have them lightly massaged (you can do it yourself or pay about $400 for some bowl and blending work). You'd have a refreshed engine and a very crisp, quick car. Not including the rebuild, the stuff I suggested would be about $4,000-$5,000, depending if you have a custom or "off the shelf" tune. You are right about the 2JZ being stouter and easier to work on. And the LS can fairly easily make 400 NA RWHP. Like I said, look into all that it requires to do a transplant. Let us know the results of the leakdown test regarding the intake valves. Best of luck.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.