TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: In reading your description of your leakdown testing, I
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: In reading your description of your leakdown testing, I

Posted by eekay on May 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM
  This message has been viewed 157 times.

In Reply To In reading your description of your leakdown testing, I posted by SirpriZ on May 20, 2020 at 04:31 PM

Message I listened for the hissing noise from the oil fill, oil dipstick and nothing. I even went to the exhaust pipes and nothing. I didn't listen to the holes of the balance tube. I will try dripping some oil into each cylinder to see if it raises compression; I did see that in Youtube videos. I doubt I'm burning oil. I check the oil dipstick every time I drive it, and the level seems the same, even on that ambiguous dipstick that Nissan made. I don't leak oil or any fluids from the engine area.

As for the motor swap, the reason I consider it, is because I have "horsepower envy." I get the impression that the 2JZ can easily make 1000 hp on stock block and heads. It seems like 500 hp is just a walk in the park for it. And the elongated shape gives me the impression that it's easier to work on than the VG. The LS I like because a lot of people do it and 450 hp NA seems easy to achieve on that motor, and it's reliable as long as you don't hammer it all the time or go forced induction; it can also get 20 mpg if you drive it conservatively, which I do. The VG, though it's obvious it's a PITA to work on, seems to me, that it's hard to build horsepower and keep it reliable. That's just my impression of it. I read the list of what kinds of mods you need to get 400 horses and it seems like it's easily $10,000 in parts alone. I think that's pricey. The 2JZ seems to me that it's somewhat cheaper to build up and horsepower increases come easier.....Just my opinion. I guess some people think I'm wishy washy and not a true Z32 fan because I would "bastardize" the Z by sticking in a motor other than the VG.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.