TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I'll cut to the Chase.. Drive it or Sell it
People Seeking Info

Subject I'll cut to the Chase.. Drive it or Sell it

Posted by Cjw3 on May 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM
  This message has been viewed 177 times.

In Reply To Re: Did you determine where the leaks are with the leak test? posted by eekay on May 19, 2020 at 10:36 PM

Message The Zed is a work of art.. some of the engineering in my opinion is questionable.. but it is a classic..
As a complicated device, you need a mentor that has done engines before, and one that has done THESE engines before.. it's a daunting task to rebuild an engine, and pulling one of these and getting it right on the first try is a challenge..

You have a 100K mile TT motor.. so it LIKELY just needs rings.. They just don't jump in.. But you will have rubber and seal issues as well, so the Motor comes out..
If you are pulling the engine to do rings.. LIKELY the bores are good.. So LIKELY you can use the Old Pistons over again..

If I had just gone through the Difficulty of pulling the engine on a Half Worn Motor, I'd toss in New Pistons..
With the heads off, I'd have the Valves Sent to the Shop and have them dressed up and new Valve Seals..
The Heads will be Decked, and the valves cleaned up.. So there is $800 to 1K for just the head work..

And now you have Pistons Bearings Gaskets Rubber and then bearings..

Side note.. I took a 100K mile NA motor, Swapped it from One Chassis to another.. I did not 'Open the Motor' but I changed all the External Gaskets and rubber and spent $1K..

Back to your Motor

As soon as you Take that motor out, You've spent $2500 MINIMUM.. but Likely $3500..

Do you have the Garage Space, and the Engine Mentor to see you through this project?..

So.. you have a running TT.. But it needs work.. and it sounds like you do not have a Mentor..

Enjoy the Car as is, or sell it and get one in better shape..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.