TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Low compression and leak down numbers
People Seeking Info

Subject Low compression and leak down numbers

Posted by eekay on May 18, 2020 at 11:55 PM
  This message has been viewed 481 times.

Message Hey peeps, need your opinion/advice. I just did a compression test this past weekend, and here are the numbers.

Cyl 1: 120
2: 95
3: 85
4: 105
5: 120
6: 115

I did the compression test both cold and warm, and the numbers were about the same.

Leakdown test
1: 30%
2: 30
3: 24
4: 29
5: 31
6 35

I bought a 95 twin turbo 5-speed with 106K miles a couple months ago. The previous owner was an old man, so he kept it stock. My question is, should I try to rebuild the VG30DETT, or swap it for an LS or 2JZ? As much as I love the Z, I'm not too fond of working on the VG because everyone knows it's a pita to work on. Ideally, if I had a good running motor, I would want 400ish horsepower at most. I'm not trying to go crazy with my car, because I want it streetable and able to pass smog...because I live in California mind you. So what do you guys think? As technologically impressive as the VG30DETT is (for its time) I think it's overly complex. I see that people go LS because 400 hp is easy to attain, and the motor is simple and reliable as long as you're not trying to go "1000 hp." I hear that 2JZ's are better because they're supposedly the pinnacle of JDM 6-cyl turbo motors (because supposedly they can handle crazy hp), and their elongated shape makes it easier to work on.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.