TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Fuel compatible wire FYI
People Seeking Info

Subject Fuel compatible wire FYI

Posted by dTb on January 07, 2020 at 1:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 328 times.

Message Just thought I would post my findings incase anyone is interested.. and as always, do your own research and verification before using a particular material in a fuel application.

Since I am working on a custom fuel tophat and hanger assembly and wiring to two Walbro 450 pumps, I needed to extend the wires on the fuel pump harness that came with the pump so that it would feed through the bulkheads. Most of the wire out there is PVC jacketed which is not compatible with fuel for a high current application..PVC only gets a C -fair rating for ethanol and gasoline compatibility and it can erode, split, spark, boom.

I called TI Automotive and found that the wire jacket material used on at least one part of the harness is ETFE. The kit I received had a shiny wire jacket material leaving into the pump, and the connector and flying lead side had a more dull finish and what looks like a different material ..probably PTFE (just my observation here).

ETFE is slightly more mechanically durable (resistant to scratches) than PTFE but PTFE can handle about 60deg more thermal load (up to 427 c) and it gets grade A rating in DuPont chemical comparability for gasoline and ethanol. Because the 450 pump draws more current than OEM, it requires a larger gauge wire (14 awg) and I am more concerned with heat than accidentally fraying the jacket so I went with the PTFE. McMaster has this wire PN 7304K15 for $2.20 /ft in various colors.

For reference:
PTFE wires - MIL-W-16878/4-Type E
ETFE wires - MIL-W-22759/16 (M22789/16)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.