TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - From your Pics the Crank Journal is Tapered
People Seeking Info

Subject From your Pics the Crank Journal is Tapered

Posted by Cjw3 on November 17, 2019 at 11:00 AM
  This message has been viewed 196 times.

In Reply To I have added pictures of both halfs of the bearings posted by dTb on November 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM

Message Looking at the Pics. the Horizontal Lines are the Org tool marks from the MFG of the Bearing. The Shinny Parts are where the Crank journal actually touched..
The First Pic is of the Upper Half.. the least Loaded part of the bearing half.. Only one side of that bearing was 'Deformed' by the crank load, and has now gotten a Shine to it. The other side of that half is un touched by the crank journal, as it still has the Factory tool marks on it.
When you get to the Lower Half, I can tell by the 'Notch' its backwards in this Orientation.. However, the Same 'Side' of the bearing is Polished heavily, with the 'Other Side' of that Bearing just SLIGHTLY seeing wear marks from the Crank smoothing out the Bearing Material..

My read from these pictures is that one journal pictured is Tapered..as it's only putting its load on one side of the bearing. If the Journal was Not Tapered, then Both Sides of Both Half's of the bearing would have a Shine
If I was making a 'Beast Motor', I'd replace the Crank..
I like to stay with 'Standard' size when ever possible.. enough are out there to get a replacement and have it polished, and then PLASTIGAUGE it to the Bearing Half's to check fit..
Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.