TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Grinding removes the Hard Facing.
People Seeking Info

Subject Grinding removes the Hard Facing.

Posted by Cjw3 on November 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM
  This message has been viewed 205 times.

In Reply To If I need the crank re ground, do I just get thicker bearins posted by dTb on November 10, 2019 at 12:48 PM

Message I do not know how thick the Hard Facing is on a 300 Crank.. But I would not go through the hassle of doing that.. I'd find a doner Motor or just a Crank..

You already have issues with that Crank..

If the Pistons are going to be used again, I'm not sure I'd Re-coat them..

What are your plans for the Build?.. If it's just for a Powerhouse, and not a Daily Driver, I'd Toss a Different Crank into that Block, set up the Bearings to Match, then Re-Hone, Re-Ring it and Run it..

If the project is for a DD Powerhouse.. I go for a NEW Set up.. because..

Bores are Scratched
Pistons are Likely Small, and will keep shedding Stuff
Crank is not round and needs to be ground compromising the Hard facing.. and wont hold a Main Seal.

If you want a Mussel Machine.. that will not travel to many miles, and you don't mind it burning a little oil.. and an 'Economy Build'.. then I'd put a different crank in that block,, hone it to reduce the Aggressive Hone marks, and reduce the depth of the scratches.. and CLEAN the SNOT out of that motor and run it a few more miles.. then build yourself a new replacement..

If you wait for perfect, you might never have anything to drive.. If you Minorly repair what you have, toss it back in the car.. you have something to drive.. then fix up your replacement engine..

Cj

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.