TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - You seem to be hitting a few things on the head here...
People Seeking Info

Subject You seem to be hitting a few things on the head here...

Posted by dTb on November 10, 2019 at 2:14 AM
  This message has been viewed 213 times.

In Reply To Thoughts posted by Cjw3 on November 09, 2019 at 09:31 PM

Message The bearing pattern is pretty consistent half to half and moves down the crank in a "tapered" fashion.. this is how I imagined it anyway. One problem I'm having is that because I had to sleeve the rear main, I cant remove the main bearing.. I need to re sleeve to remove that one and I just got to this today. I will follow up with more pictures and need to find a way to remove the sleeve without damaging the crank.

Your right that the scratches are on the trust sides of all cylinders. Because I can hang a nail on some of these at 5k miles, I am concerned. Can't imagine what this will be like at 20k and beyond.. I know it's a performance motor but damn..

From what I've read about the hatch pattern.. the angle and the method looks good for a race motor but it has the disadvantage of heavy oil consumption to which I am witnessing. When I pulled the motor this last time only 2-3 quarts came out and I change my oil every 1k or more frequent as the motor is not that old and just barely broken in. I have been noticing and been wondering about the amount of blowby and vapor coming from the oil filler cap and intake cam covers vented.. next build will use a catch can and possibly vacuum system I dunno.. I'm really just trying to feel my way through this. This being said, it's a 10qt system with the race pan and the external cooler and -10 lines.. I shouldn't be burning this much oil. The coolant was very green when I drained it and the oil was properly colored so no cross contamination that I could tell... Although the heads you can see some green from burning coolant. I only ran on the blown gasket for a few miles before I realized the radiator was getting bubbles so not sure how bad the fluids would look if I ran out longer.

I haven't pulled specs yet. I think I was provided with some ring or bearing cleanance info with the motor.. I will be checking against that when I get to that point. I guess I need to call the mfg and get the ring specs and measure the bore .. I'm sure this is were this project was going to take me but I haven't looked yet. I need to identify the rings that were used, measure everything etc.. but if I find things are way out of spec, what kind of recourse do I have? I feel like I'm just put a lot of time and money and emotions. Maybe I need a whole new long block or maybe just Pistons? This is what I'm trying to figure out.. what is the best, logical and minimum best path forward?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.