TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - It is not uncommon for there to be this type of variance
People Seeking Info

Subject It is not uncommon for there to be this type of variance

Posted by LitlElvis on July 13, 2019 at 11:07 AM
  This message has been viewed 288 times.

In Reply To I mean Re: yes, Re: It seems to me to be a pretty sma posted by dancefloor on July 11, 2019 at 04:12 PM

Message between two otherwise identical appearing springs. Spring rate is never perfectly linear.

It sounds to me that you have measured the springs while they are off of the shocks and then measured them when installed with the weight of the car upon them. To verify that your spring length difference is actually the springs and not due to one side of the car being heavier than the other, you would need to swap the springs and verify that the shorter spring follows the swap. If it is indeed the spring, you can try to shim it by 2/5 of an inch when installing on the shock to get it closer to being equal to the other side.

If you leave the spring as-is, I doubt anyone could feel a difference when driving the car. The average spring rate of the rear springs is 130 lb/inch, so you're talking about a load difference from one side to the other of roughly 52 lbs and that falls into the normal variations of driving with or without a passenger, luggage, and/or groceries.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.