TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Very loud whistle under WOT
People Seeking Info

Subject Very loud whistle under WOT

Posted by Goldchocobo on June 15, 2019 at 7:59 PM
  This message has been viewed 248 times.

Message Before we jump on the "you need new turbos bandwagon", let me narrow it down for you. Stock turbos with newer CHRAs. Car has 61k miles on it.

Whistle noise started about year ago. I've put 5k miles on it since. The whistle also corresponds with how much boost I'm pushing at any given moment.

I just ripped off my stock downpipes and replaced them with OBX divorced pipes and midpipes. Naturally, the whistle noise is a lot louder now. After about 15 minutes of driving, the whistle noise mostly vanishes.

Once my downpipes were off, inspected my turbos with lights, camera, and mirrors. ZERO shaft play, and no interference with blades on turbine walls. Same can be said for compressor side. Turbines spin freely as well.

No oil leakage on the turbine or compressor sides.

Intake, turbo intake, intercoolers, PCV's and ETC are clean with no oil contamination.

Car isn't burning any oil.

Other than the whistling noise under WOT, the car pulls like a freight train and runs well.

The only thing I can think of is my oil feeds are clogged, and the turbo(s) are getting starved until things are warmed up.

Any ideas?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.