TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Starting issue: Continued
People Seeking Info

Subject Starting issue: Continued

Posted by BannonZ on May 11, 2019 at 9:58 AM
  This message has been viewed 354 times.

Message This issue continues a thread I posted in tech about a month ago: I have a starting issue, cold starts only. On first key turn, the vehicle will crank and want to start on the first crank and if you kick over the throttle to wot or close to it you can sometimes catch the engine and keep it started, however you'll have to keep the throttle kicking to get the vehicle to run without stalling for about 30 seconds, when the engine will regulate and seem to run fine, after running a little rough. Once a little fuel is run through the system it seems to run fine. Idles at 900 RPM, all cylinders firing. Once the car is started the power seems to be fine and full, and engine sounds and revs fine. Most times however the engine wont catch and will not fire. It just cranks and cranks.

I can get the engine started by sitting there and turning it over and over for about two-three minutes until it will chug and chug and eventually I can kick the throttle into starting the car. I can take a video of this process if need be.

I have taken the spark plugs out after not being able to start and cranking for about a minute and they are completely fuel fouled. I can swap in new ones after leaving the cylinders open to dry overnight and usually it will catch right away or almost right away with the new plugs. After a day or two it will be right back at the same problem. These are new NGK OEM spec plugs spaced at stock or for the 615 cc injectors that I have.

I am extremely frustrated and about to give up on the car.

Here's what I have done to fix the issue:

-Sent my fuel rail with 615's to Bernie Bilski who checked them out and doesn't believe they are the cause of the issue.
-New Harness
-New IAC
-New Air Regulator
-New TPS (set to the correct position through Nissan Consult)
-New PTU - relocated to airbox area
-Replaced MAF with two new units and a Selin Translator (V2)
-Timing checked with timing light and set to 15 BDE
-New vacuum hoses (smoked tested and no leaks)
-Fuel pressure checked before the FPR at correct level
-New Walbro fuel pump
-New Z1 battery harness and ground -
-Added second ground with 1 gauge wire to the trans to battery
-Added third ground with 1 gauge wire to plenum to battery
-New Starter Relay
-New Starter
-Flywheel and Clutch checked
-New Amsoil 10w30 -
-Swapped out CAS with known good one.
-Changed my SpecialtyZ chip tune to a slightly milder JWT chip given by a friend.

I have had this issue for 4+ years when it is cold (here in New England) in the summer when it is hot out I am much less likely to have this issue. So far this year has remained colder through now. My shop is typically about 50 degrees. I think that I've replaced the FPR and the Damper but I've lost track. I know that they have been replaced in the last 6 years for sure.

Can anybody recommend another place to look? I'm tired of throwing money at this thing.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.