TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Potential PTU issue, would like some input
People Seeking Info

Subject Potential PTU issue, would like some input

Posted by BannonZ on March 23, 2019 at 8:20 AM
  This message has been viewed 242 times.

Message I am really frustrated. Some history:

I have been having a no start issue during below 50 degree weather with my Z for the past three years, sometimes above 50 it starts no problem and sometimes I have to kick it on with the throttle. Below 50 I got nothing, without basically forcing it to start with starter fluid. I know it sounds silly but these are the conditions under which I have an issue. Naturally because it's cold out not I cannot get it to start.

I've replaced all connectors on the harness with good soldering and shrink wrap, sent my injectors out to Bernie Bilski (who graciously tested them for me and confirmed they were good.) Really replaced everything but the PTU, which was serviced under the recall in the '90s.

I just pulled the engine, replaced all vacuum hoses fuel lines, coolant lines, new turbos, MSP manifolds, got all the proper gaskets and everything went in smoothly. Very carefully installed all the top end items, injectors went in smoothly with silicone (upgraded newer style 615 cc's) Capped unused ends, deleted stock boost solenoids, really tried to take everything I could out that was unnecessary. Checked and resoldered almost all the connections on the harness if there was any cuts or cracks repaired them. I relocated the PTU to the nose panel area, made sure the wires are making good connection, clean corrosion free connectors. Tried a stock ECU I have on the shelf, to see if it was an issue with the Specialty Z chip tune....

Yet, the bastard still wont start. I've read in search that people have had issues with the new style PTU failing and causing this exact problem. The bulletin I read on the old style was more of a stumble and/or stalling issue less of a no start. Can anyone confirm that they have also had this PTu issue or read about it here?

Looking for some guidance here. Thanks in advance.

SRC="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa177/thebanman407/0065
09bf-0ebb-4def-98aa-abc84e7d5dfe_zps76c78802.jpg">

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.