TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Been there with Mobil1 like said it is a GL5 and not >>
People Seeking Info

Subject Been there with Mobil1 like said it is a GL5 and not >>

Posted by ZUL8TR on February 12, 2019 at 3:03 PM
  This message has been viewed 189 times.

In Reply To Not sure I can agree with a lubricant change posted by JMartz on January 30, 2019 at 08:03 AM

Message compatible with GL4 for our tranny as Bernie notes. Way back talked to a oil tech at Mobile and asked about their LL ratings of3,4 and 5 on the bottle. he said those are applicable for rear ends and are backward compatible. For manual tranny they are not backward compatible and a gear oil with a multiple GL rating on the bottle like GL 3,4,5 or GL4, 5 should not be used in a GL4 specified tranny.

The 5speed tranny in my 92 Z failed at 36 k in 1996 due to the dealer putting in a GL 3,4,5 during a fluid service. First gear to 2nd synchro failed. I had to convince Nissan SE area Zone that the dealer messed it up with the oil change with wrong GL. I had a letter from Mobil to support claim. Nissan gave me a new tranny from japan and I requested that it come with their factory gear oil. Id did and was installed.

When it came time to change the fluid I used Redline 90 for a while and shifting issues occured. So drained it and called Royal Purple and spoke with their chemist tech because their bottle of 75w-90 Max Gear says applicable for GL4 tranny as well as GL5 rear ends. They said their additives are non corrosive to soft metals like synchros so OK in GL4 tranny. Been using the RP since 2000 no problems shifts great can get into 1st with slight roll but I rarely do that, what for?

Not all Z trannies respond the same, like women I have known.

ZUL8TR

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.