TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Car was running fine, then it wouldn't idle. Drives fine
People Seeking Info

Subject Car was running fine, then it wouldn't idle. Drives fine

Posted by nissubaru on January 28, 2019 at 4:26 PM
  This message has been viewed 204 times.

Message Not sure what happened, I put a new battery in after letting the car sit for a few weeks and the car started right up. Sounded fine. Idled perfectly fine, even had it idling for 5 minutes or so while I put some air in the tires and chatted with the mechanics at the local gas station. Drove it around town, no issues. Parked it for a couple hours and then I took it to my girlfriends grandparents house where I'll be storing it for the winter. ~25 minute drive, around 20 minutes in I got off the highway and started hitting some red lights which is when I noticed the car idling like dog shit.

I had to keep revving it otherwise it felt like the engine was about to stall out. I pulled over in a parking lot after the first red light where I noticed this and just let it sputter out and die. Wanted to be sure it was actually dying and not just idling rough, which it did. I was really close to where I was going at that point, and the car seemed perfectly fine if I wasn't idling so I made the 5 minute trip and parked it.

Anyways..enough backstory. What could it be? I did a search but there's like 20 years worth of shit on this forum and nothing seems to fit my exact scenario. To reiterate that scenario, car was fine one minute, then the next it wouldn't idle.

I recently installed all new t-bolt clamps on all the intake piping and I hit 19psi on the highway for a moment so I doubt it's a boost leak. If you check my previous post history I mentioned having an uncapped vacuum port on the passenger side suction pipe (diagram shows this going to the pipe that connects to the AIV and EGR, green line https://conceptzperformance.com/wiki/images/c/c4/Manifold.png). I capped this already, even uncapped it and my car was still running like crap.

Would you guys be looking for a vac leak or would you be looking at the AICV? Or could it be bad/old gas? What about temperature? My car is from Florida, probably was tuned during the warmer months. I'm in PA, the temperature was ~32 degrees when this happened.

Thanks!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.