TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: Ran search on power steering leak...do this first?
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: Ran search on power steering leak...do this first?

Posted by TheKryptKeeper on September 03, 2018 at 3:20 PM
  This message has been viewed 443 times.

In Reply To Ran search on power steering leak...do this first? posted by TTkeeper on September 02, 2018 at 08:38 PM

Message I just fixed up my PS hoses this morning. I have a 91 TT with HICAS delete. The formed hose looked like shit and I just trimmed the leaking end a bit and slammed it back in. I did this because the hose loops around the engine crossmember and the head of the hose clamp was touching the bottom of a turbo. I didn't want to fuck with it unless I had the replacement hose in hand. So which side of the engine is your drip on? This would be the driver's side hose.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/power-steering-hoses/z1-motorsports/silicone-power-steering-return-hose-formed-p-3226.html

On the passenger side is the famous alternator killer hoses. The J hose that feeds the pump is underneath the reservoir and takes a dive under the intake plenum. The other two go a little more forward towards the radiator before getting fucking lost into the abyss. On my TT the most forward facing line transforms into a crimped high pressure looking hose. This morning I dremeled this off leaving a 3/8 hard pipe. I pretend flared it by putting needle nose into the tube and trying to open the pliers while rotating it. I would not recommend this. Plan for when you have time to remove the front and the radiator and actually pull the tube and flare it correctly.

To answer your specific question; for the most part you can get to the hose clamps from underneath, but they probably are not dripping much. The J hose runs by the Turbo and gets rotted. This is probably what's dripping and should be replaced, not tightened. I'm handy with the engine bay and have all sorts of tools for flexing and reaching tight spots, so I feel comfortable saying that I can change this hose just by removing the intake, intercooler, and accordion piping, and hitting it from behind the pump. I would recommend that you plan to pull the radiator and the pump to get at it though.

Just buy the silicone set from Z1. It's like 40 total.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.