TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - How Loud is the Mechanical Fan Supposed to Be?
People Seeking Info

Subject How Loud is the Mechanical Fan Supposed to Be?

Posted by NNayak on June 07, 2018 at 3:00 PM
  This message has been viewed 366 times.

Message Hi guys,

I got my NA --> TT slicktop build on the road about 9 months ago, and I have been puzzled by how loud the mechanical fan is once the car is warmed up. When the car has just been turned on in the morning, there is very little fan noise. However, once the water temp is up near 185F, the fan noise becomes very noticeable while engine braking, even over the 3" exhaust. It's loud enough to the point that my friends comment that it sounds like a pickup or semi truck.

This is the only 300ZX that I've ever owned or driven, so I'm not sure if this level of fan noise is normal or common. It's pretty unfortunate how the car sounds when hot, because it sounds amazing when it's cold.

The fan clutch is not locked up, though it does seem a bit stiff, and for the life of me I can't sense a difference in its resistance between when it's cold in the morning and when the car has just been turned off after driving it. When I spin it by hand, it rotates roughly 1/4 turn or so. I am not sure that the clutch that is in there is OEM, as it came with the car. I'm not sure how much resistance the clutch is supposed to have, again, as this is the only 300ZX i've ever worked on.

How much fan noise is normal? Does this sound like a failing fan clutch to you guys? How does one diagnose a failing fan clutch by resistance/how much it spins when pushed? Is anybody aware of any videos that might show what a confirmed good fan sounds like, and how much it rotates when pushed?

Thanks in advance!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.