TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: ... besides re-aligning pass-side cams, that is
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: ... besides re-aligning pass-side cams, that is

Posted by Metacom on April 23, 2018 at 8:15 PM
  This message has been viewed 282 times.

In Reply To ... besides re-aligning pass-side cams, that is (n/m) posted by GrecV2 on April 23, 2018 at 07:18 PM

Message I use a spare screw that fits the tensioner adjustment bolt to relieve tension on the belt, slowly. When its slacked, then I remove the tensioner mounting nuts/screws, then take off the belt.

Your valves are fine, that spinning action from the cam sprockets is pressure from valve springs pushing against the cams to a closed valve position on which ever cylinder the cam lobe rests on, it wont create enough force to push the other valves open/smash.

Re-align the sprockets to the back plate and crank sprocket to the oil pump mark, double check you're at TDC.

Careful turning the sprockets back, it takes some strength and if it slips it can cut the hell out of your hand like mine did :(

Dont forget when installing the belt, you're timing the pistons to the valves. When set at TDC, and with the mark on the belt aligned with the mark on the crank sprocket to the oil pump. Adjust the cam sprockets to catch their respective belt marks - the backing plate dots are no longer used as reference at this point - the crank sprocket mark has to stay at TDC and the belt mark has to stay aligned with it.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.